Monday, April 07, 2008

He's ba-ack.

The Sharp-shin came back to day to dine at the fast food joint I call my bird feeders. He landed in the exact same spot as yesterday. I could tell because I hadn’t moved the tripod the camera was on and when I turned the camera on—voila! He was right in the view finder. This time I moved the camera and slid the porch door and screen out of the way so there was nothing between the lens and the bird. The pictures came out much, much better.

DSCN0461

DSCN0467

DSCN0471

DSCN0482

As you can see, I also played with the digital zoom on the camera a bit. Man, I love those red eyes!

Oh, and the smaller birds? They seem to have found it in their hearts to head north or somewhere. Could be because of the Sharp-shin. Could be because the neighbors' cats are out there when the hawk isn't. Then again, it could be because the wind has been blowing out of the south for two days and it's been pretty warm here. (Add the sound of wood frogs and spring peepers to the signs that spring may have actually arrived.)

7 comments:

JDP said...

What a beautiful bird. The photos are great. I have seen hawks swoop down and attack birds at a feeder before and saw one grab a rabbit once. Mother nature can be cruel at times. Predator and prey.

JDP

JDP said...

I googled sharp shin hawk and just happened to find a link to a great website with some great photography of birds and fly fishing. You might enjoy taking a look.

http://www.grahamowengallery.com/

JDP

joated said...

Thanks for pointing out that great site. He's got some amazing pictures there.

JDP said...

I agree Joated, the photography is spectacular. I do not think I will be buying any of his hand made realistic dry flies any time soon. Did you check out the prices?

JDP

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous photo!

joated said...

Ya know, Kate, sometimes ya just get lucky.

Gail said...

Beautiful. We tend to get lots of Cooper's hawks around here.