Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Woodworking 101 Day 6

No progress on the bench to report. But I did think about it. That's got to be worth something.

Today was spent in the workshop moving and stacking the tongue and groove lumber left over from constructing the Aerie. (It was used as ceiling material and also as wall interiors for the gable end walls. Real logs only go up to the top of the first floor.) There was a lot of lumber left over because we opted for sheetrock on most of the interior walls (gives us some break from the wood) and, I would guess, either we didn't communicate this to our kit supplier (Beaver Mountain) or they just didn't make the adjustment. Which ever, we have a lot of 6' and 8' wide tongue and groove left over. I already made use of some in the basement by panelling the bottom of the walls to chair rail height. I will use more on the still exposed walls in the workshop, but even then I will still have scads of material left. Some could be used in the attic where the ceiling is still exposed insulation. Although I'd rather use less expensive sheetrock or even plywood to enclose the attic areas.

Working amongst the lumber that had been collecting dust--both from the woodworking activities and from cats wandering in and out when the door was open--presented a serious problem for my allergy inflicted body. I spent several hours thinking I was going to sneeze my brains out. I believe I've developed whiplash from the sudden, rapid snapping of my head back and forth during sneezing bouts. I was sneezing so hard that the insides of my eyeglasses were covered with dropplets of what I can only hope was water from my eyes' tear ducts. The alternative was that some of the schmaltz that was dripping from my nostrils into my mustache while I was sneezing was also getting blown out those tear ducts and onto my lenses. There was so much mucus flowing from my membranes that I went through a half a boxof tissues and threatened the cats with Chinese diner night.

Why was I moving wood and vaccuuming instead of working on the workbench? I was at an impass without the vises in hand. I hesitate to start laying out holes and such with out having on hand the actual items for which those holes are required. Sure, Lee Valley may have instructions for the stuff on their web site, but what happens if the vise I get isn't exactly the one pictured? Maybe the manufacturer has changed design or something. Then what? So I figured I had a couple of days to get everything cleaned up and maybe finish a workshop wall or something to bide the time. After all, Lee Valley had sent an email just yesterday that they had just shipped my order (minus the backordered screw for the one vise). Should take a couple of days to get here. I mean, I didn't order any special handling or delivery or anything.

Wrong! The Fed Ex truck pulled up at 3 PM and delivered my Lee Valley order. Wow! Ordered via internet on Monday late and in my hands by Wednesday afternoon! THAT is service! The bastards! Now I'll have to get to it....

Wait! There's still the one vise screw missing.... I can milk that for a couple of days. They say it won't be available until the 20th. Yeah. That's the ticket! Procrastination!

I may have to spend some time tomorrow moving snow around the driveway. We got 1+ inches last night which we could ignore but the forecast is for anywhere from 2 to 5 inches tonight. That will require either the snow thrower or the shovel tomorrow morning. I can use the exercise but it's also supposed to be in the single digits temperaturewise and that I could do without.

No comments: