Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Woodworking 101 Day 8
Oh, my aching back!

I did spend lots of time in the workshop today getting everything set to mount the vises. All the wood is done and some has been glued and screwed together while the rest is dry fitted.

I had to remill one side rail when it split on me at the last minute--twice! It was, of course, the one piece that had the most router work. And, the second time I realized I needed to remill the damn thing, I discovered I didn't have one straight piece of 2x4 in the shop! I didn't even have a section of 2x4 that was straight enough long enough to be used and I was not going to rib a 2x6 down to do the job. So off to Arnot Building Supply for a 2x4. That and the remilling steps involved ate up an hour's worth of time.

Tomorrow I'll drill the holes and bolt on the fittings. Then the top gets bolted to the base and I'll have a workbench! I'll also be sure to post a few pictures of the finished product. (But don't be too disappointed if they are not real close-ups or detailed. There's plenty of room for improvement. Starting with better wood. Construction grade 2x pine is definitely not the best--although it is the cheapest--for tight fitting joints.

Oh, about my back. I turned to pick up a tool off the side bench and twisted my back in a peculiar way. Hopefully it's just a muscle thing and it will work itself out with some Tylenol PM and a good night's sleep. The pain is still confined to the back in the left kidney area and hasn't moved down into my leg so that's a good sign.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Hope your friend is doing better---funny pic of the boxer.Both Patrick & I seem to be more clumsy as we age.So far no concussions though. Once he gets his shop at our place up north he'll be referring back to your posts! Good details.