Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Adventures In Deck Staining, pt.. 2

So, after the hail stopped and then the rain, I got out the squeegee and got the excess water off the deck so it would dry faster. And it would have too if the rain didn't return--three times. And after each episode, I would squeegee the water off again. It finally did stop around 3 PM. A fresh, dry breeze blew and the sun came out for good. I let things sit until after Terry and I had an early dinner and got out there to stain the rest of the 10' x 34' section before calling it a night at 8 PM.

I'll get the section under the covered porch tomorrow and then do the 2" x 10" ribbon joists and the 6" x 6" support posts. After that, I'll see about getting some stain for the rails and balusters.

The weather is supposed to be fair until Friday according to weather.com (AccuHunch says there's a chance of AM T-storm on Thursday), but can you really believe those guys in a volatile hill country like this? Heck, they can't even agree amongst themselves.

******

While squeegeeing the deck, I noticed we have a new tenant under the shed--a big, fat ground hog has moved in. Didn't see any teets when it sat up on its haunches to look me over, so I'm guessing it's a male. That's fine by me. I've no need for a pack of little ground hogs roaming around the yard. At least I won't have to worry about mowing the grass in front of the shed; from what I saw, it put quite a dent in the supply that was there this afternoon.

******

Oh, and the southwest corner of the garage has been reoccupied by a robin, too. The nest was not there on Thursday when I cut the grass but it is fully constructed now. On the topmost end log in the corner way up under the eave where it's fully protected.


No comments: