Sunday, May 16, 2010

Aerie Report, May 16, 2010

A definte candidate for Top Ten day today. It started cool and a little cloudy but after noon it was warm and sunny. The high got up to around 70 with just the slightest of breeze blowing. I'm getting quite the farmer's tan as I work outside in short sleeves.

I managed to get another 8 hours of staining done today although I had to wait until 10 AM for the temperature to get above 50 degrees. Some 36 balusters and 5 posts plus all those little 4" sections of two rails between them were all done from the top of an 8' step ladder. And my quads are telling me that it was a chore. But I did get the front of the deck finished. Now there's only the 10' section on the east ends of the deck to do and the inside of the entire thing. The forecast is for some slight chance of showers starting at 4 AM on Tuesday morning so I've got until 4 PM tomorrow to get as much done as possible before my window closes until Friday or so.

There's something disconcerting about working at the top of a ladder and leaning over as far as you can with no real hand holds to reach the surfaces you want to stain so you don't have to go up and down too frequently to move the ladder over and having vultures circling overhead. Waiting.

******

Got a call this afternoon from the "Wagon Master" of our Alaskan trek. He just wanted to talk about our trip, gather some information about the optional activities (Yes to the halibut fishing in Homer. He'll try to get a boat for a group--it's cheaper. No to the rafting trip in Denali. Clarification as to the Arctic Circle flight/drive--book it yourself, ASAP.) and impart some thoughts about what to bring and what not to bring. I let Terry do the talking since I was otherwise occupied.

Just 23 days to go!


1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

Kachemak Bay (Homer) is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen - I'm certain you'll love it, too.

We've ordered lots of sunny days for your visit; not sure how many Supply can provide. ;)