Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mid-day Report, May 12, 2010

Foggy, misty, drizzly day here at the Aerie. The rain that moved in yesterday from the southwest, prevented the temperature from dropping overnight but that same rain has prevented the temperature from rising much today. It's barely made it to 48 degrees, "up" from 44 at 6 AM.

******

I've said it before, but you can get quite a list of bird species just by looking out the window. During lunch a Great Blue Heron flew over. Afterward I watched a Rose-breasted Grosbeak flit about in the trees while a pair of Towhees scratched at the seed beneath the feeders. The usual crowd of White- and Red-breasted Nuthatches, Chickadees, Juncos, Tufted Titmice, Goldfinches, Downy Woodpeckers, Purple Finches and red-winged Blackbirds fought for time at the feeders when the squirrels would let them in. The Robins and Flickers could care less about the squirrels and hunted for worms, insects and ants where ever they pleased.

******

Because of the rain that was falling at dusk, I left the feeders outside last night. Big mistake! Something--probably a bear--came to visit, emptied both stick feeders and dumped the tray feeder. It didn't come up on the deck, however, which is a shame. I figure its paws would have left some nice muddy prints on the new stain. At least what little damage it did do was easily fixed.

******

Two things I pondered about in yesterday's post--my driver's license renewal and the information packet from Good Sam--ave been solved.

After checking Terry's new license, we realized that although we both got our first PA driver's licenses in October of 2006 when we surrendered our NJ licenses, her renewal came two months prior to her early May birthday and is set to expire the day after her birthday in three years. My birthday is in September. My current license expires the day after that event. I should get my renewal in the mail sometime in mid July--when I'm in Alaska.

Speaking of Alaska--There was a big package in today's mail from Good Sam that included a copy of Milepost 2010 (THE definitive guide to the Al-Can Highway) and a guide book for, and the official day-by-day itinerary of, our scheduled Caraventure.

The page on what spare parts to bring for your vehicle creates a little concern...not much, I figured this was going to be a l-o-n-g road trip over some iffy roads so their suggestions are just about what I figured as well as one or two head slap moments, as in, "Of course! Why didn't I think of that?" I've got to take the Tundra in to get serviced and checked out so I'll ask about some extra filters and such at that time. Also will have to get a bug/debris screen to protect the grill/radiator.

Then there's the photocopy of the customs pamphlet that describes what you can and can't take across the US border (in either direction) and what you need to have in the way of insurance, proof of ownership for camera and computer, etc. Never had to answer any questions except those dealing with alcohol, tobacco and firearms (weapons) before. Then again, I never took my "third home" across the border.

Time is growing short awfully fast!

2 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Prior to the TransAlaska Pipeline construction, most of the Alcan was dirt, gravel and mud. The instructions I gave travellers in those days included "bring two 5-gallon cans of gas, three spare tires, two each spare headlights, have rock guards on headlights & taillights, first aid kit, and enough food for your crew for at least two days."

Since you'll be traveling mostly paved highways, during the summer season, all the gas stations in Canada will be open. Once you get into the Canadian Rockies, however, one bit of the old advice is still good: never pass a gas station without filling up, you're approaching the half-tank mark. In the off season (after Labor Day), 2/3 of the stations are closed for the winter. Makes a winter trip a bit more adventurous.

At least they plow the Highway, now that it's paved. The Alcan used to be closed from October to May.

Joan of Argghh! said...

I've lived in Florida all my life (with a few years in Mexico City) and had never seen a Bluebird until moving to SC. How beautiful they are! Plus, Robins everywhere here and a rarity there! I guess it's a bit silly and surprising since in FL one is accustomed to the idea that most birds wind up there eventually.