Monday, June 02, 2008

Aerie steps: fini!
Next!

The steps got finished yesterday and I'll get around to posting a picture later today. I used up all six bags of gravel and found myself short so it was back to the Agway in town to pick up a couple more (3) bags. While there, I also got two more bags of cedar mulch for the flower beds and terry picked out a couple of tomato and pepper plants for the pots on the deck. (I also took a huge chance and picked up a six-pack of zucchini plants. If you've ever grown zukes you know what I mean by a huge chance. If successful we could be up to our tuchises in zucchini squash. But that's okay, we like zucchini bread and it can be frozen in such compact little bricks.)

Today's chore outside will be to erect a short stone wall off beyond the bird feeders which will hold the remaining soil still in the front yard. I started placing some of the larger stones the other day while trying to pick the one I wanted to use for the top step. There are others all over the perimeter of the yard that can be placed thereto build a 12-18 inch high retaining wall. Luckily I've got a hand truck to help with the hauling. Lifting some of these brutes into the wheelbarrow just would not be good for the old lower back.

Meanwhile, Terry is out to Big Flats, NY for a stitching club meeting this morning. I think she said she's teaching the ladies to do some beading. Then tonight she's off to Wellsboro, PA for another club meeting.

1 comment:

Gun Trash said...

The same happens to me whenever I'm doing some project with those bags of Quickrete or Sakrete. Invariably I underestimate the amount needed and it's a trip back to Lowes or wherever.

I've also noticed that as the years pass by I tend to go for those 40 or 60 lb bags as those 80 pounders I used to heave around seem to have gotten heavier!

:-)