Monday, June 30, 2008

Time to lose some weight.

Wyatt Earp of Support Your Local Gunfighter has just finished a six month long weight loss competition having successfully shed 40 pounds from his 5’ 9” frame. (See his post on his results here.)Having followed some of the contest he’s been having with fellow bloggers, and after looking at the before and after photos, I can say he has done well.

Tracking his progress the last few months had me thinking about by weight. The summer I was working and living with Don as we built the Aerie, I dropped about 35 pounds and weighed in at a svelt 205 in September. I got rid of all my “fat” clothes at the time we packed up to move Terry and the cats to the Bolt Hole for two months.

Unfortunately, the winter of ’06-’07 was not kind. I usually “hibernate” during the winter with my metabolism really slowing down. However, my eating habits just keep right on. All that football to watch means lots of snacks from Thanksgiving to mid January. The summer of ’07 wasn’t much better as I only had the building of the raised plant bed and the one major construction project: retaining walls. Suddenly the fall of ’07 rolled around followed by winter ’07-’08. During this time I flirted with 240 pounds—again. Sometimes even going over for a few days or a week. Larger jeans were in order, as were one or two pair of dress/casual slacks.

Around June 1st I decided I better do something about my weight problem. Terry had been going to Curves regularly but my only exercise had been the weekly bird walks (and the finishing of the basement). I threw myself into the removal of the earth pile out front and the building of stairs on the slope of the lawn. I started to push myself away from the table after one helping and saving the rest for the next day’s lunch or dinner if there was sufficient.

With just those small changes, I’ve started to lose some weight. The trip to San Francisco and Half Moon Bay didn’t help much. Italian and seafood are weaknesses I have a difficult time passing up and there is no option of a doggy bag when you’re traveling.

I started on June first at 232 pounds and weighed 227 this morning. With five days at the Bolt Hole (where food was mostly bacon, eggs, venison and beans and activity was curtailed by murderous black flies) and another five days in California for the wedding, I think that’s pretty good. My goal is to increase my activity level and reach 210 by my September 17th birthday. That will put me in good shape for the hunting season. If I walk enough of the Adirondack woods during the season, I might be able to get under 200 pounds by Thanksgiving. I’ll just have to watch those Weight Watchers points and **SOB** cut back on the ice cream.


No comments: