Thursday, October 08, 2009

Aerie Report, October 8, 2009

Not much to report on today. The winds that howled around here yesterday died down overnight to a virtual dead calm by daybreak. The temperature dropped but not below 43 degrees. It didn't rise much during the day, however, and failed to get above 55 this afternoon.

We had a lot of high level cumulus clouds obscuring the sun for much of the day. They were headed southeast which is strange considering our next weather maker is coming up from the southwest. It's stretching from western PA all the way down to northeaster Texas right now and some places along that line may get 6 inches of rain. We're not supposed to be one of them. Accuhunch says we'll get between 1 and 1.5 inches between tonight and Saturday with a bit more on Monday. Just what we need. I poured 0.15 inches of water out of the rain gauge yesterday after the quick, heavy shower of Tuesday night.

Heh. Could be worse. At least one town in Idaho had to close their schools last Monday because of snow. They're forecasting a snow event tomorrow along the northern Rockies that will reach down into Nebraska. The mountains of Idaho, western Montana and Colorado could get up to 6 inches of white stuff. And that storm will move east bringing snow to Chicago on Sunday.

******

I should have taken advantage of the weather to cut the grass...again. Instead I took the old doors off the shed that was here when we bought the property and hung the new ones I built last winter. They've been sitting in the garage and awaiting my get-up-and-do-it which finally got here this afternoon. Of course, those new doors still need to be stained but, hey!, at least they're hanging in the right place now. Naturally, I forgot to take a picture before it got too dark and with the rain starting tonight.... Well, maybe I can get one tomorrow.

******

I finished the last of the Jim Butcher Harry Dresden books (Small Favor) I bought a month ago. And promptly read the little novelette called Backup written from the viewpoint of Harry's older half brother, the vampire Thomas. After that I started to read Turn Coat which is #11 in the Dresden Files series. I borrowed the last two from the library over in Wellsboro while I was over there for an Audubon meeting on Tuesday. I don't believe either is out in paperback yet but when Turn Coat is available in that form, I'll probably buy it.

I would have picked up some of Butcher's Codex Alera series, but the library shelf only held books 3, 4 and 5 of the series. And I refuse to jump into the middle. It would be like reading The Two Towers without first reading The Fellowship Of the Ring.

Okay, why buy a book I've borrowed from the library and all ready read? Because, my dear fellow, I enjoyed and appreciate Mr. Butcher's work in writing the thing and he deserves compensation. I have found all his books extremely entertaining, and I'll probably read it again...and again. Having all of the series on hand, I do not have to worry about whether the library will have a copy when I want to read it.

No comments: