Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Therapist

Well, I've been to the physical therapist and he poked and prodded and twisted and pulled on my left knee eliciting a few little moans and groans from me in the process. And despite swelling and some pain (especially when he pulled AND twisted at the same time!) there is good news as well. It is his opinion that there is no damage to the cruciate ligaments. If either the lateral, anterior or interior cruciate had been torn, he says, 1) I would have experienced far more pain when he twisted and pulled on the joint 2) he would have been able to feel more looseness in the joint than he did. (I told him that if 1) had occurred, he would be seeing an orthodontists this afternoon.) He believes that if there is any damage, it may be to the meniscus--those gristly parts that are supposed to cushion the joint.

The bad news is that even an MRI won't reveal damage in that area. So, we wait and see if it gets better before going to the next stage which would be scoping the knee.

Anyhow, he treated my knee with ice and electrical stimulation, gave me some simple exercises to do, recommended I use crutches instead of the cane to keep weight off the knee as much as possible and we made an appointment for tomorrow at 10 AM to do it all over again. And another for later in the week. Wash, rinse, repeat.

2 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

You sure know how to have a good time. Will Mark be around to help with the bags of bird seed?

joated said...

Yeah, I'm havin' a ball.

And Mark is at least four hours and 200-250 miles northeast of the Aerie. Unfortunaely.