Monday, September 26, 2011

Aerie afternoon chore: Grass cutting

I went out this afternoon to cut the grass. I put the discharge chute in place knowing that if I tried to mulch the too tall grass it would clog the blade and cause the engine to stall. Similarly, putting the bag on the mower to catch the grass would have resulted in having to stop every 40-50 feet to empty the bag. Even with the side discharge chute in place, the mower clogged frequently necessitating lots of jiggling and even stopping to clear the portal. Then, of course, there was sufficient grass accumulation to warrant raking--which Terry did as I finished cutting behind the house (thinner grass, more moss) and the driveway. Together it took us just over two hours to get the job done.

The sun was shining brightly while we worked an the temperature rose to the mid 80s. Needless to say, this left me a little fatigued and limp.

Speaking of limp, the warmth softened up the garden hoses so I drained and coiled both hoses and put them away for the winter. Figure there's no need to water the garden any more.

******

The knees (plural) did not take kindly to the exercise. Something about working on a slope and for so dang long. They were sore when I finished so after I showered they both got ice treatments until I feared frost bite. At least they didn't signal their displeasure with any really sharp pains. Mostly it was just aches and some grinding. They are feeling better now but are still somewhat stiff.

Now, if you'll excuse me, the TV is calling. I hear there's another football game on tonight.

1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

I hope your knees are feeling better today.