Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Back to Work

I spent today getting materials for and beginning the building of the railing for the deck. First it was off to Lowes (or Low Es, as Terry's mom calls it) to get the lumber and fasteners that I needed. Then I set up my saw in the driveway. The posts got cut to length and drilled for carriage bolts. Seven posts got mounted to the edge of the deck and I turned my attention to measuring and cutting 2x4 rails to go between the posts. Then balusters were installed on two of the four sections before it was time to call it quits for the day.

tomorrow I install the remaining balusters, construct the rail/baluster system for the steps, and cut and install the cap for the rails around the deck.

Finally, after we get back from Atlanta and South Carolina (more on that later) it will be time to stain and weatherproof. Perhaps I'll let Terry help with that. (What? She's going to Nashville right after we get back from GA & SC? More about that later, too.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh. As I was pulling up to the curb today, there was a very loud PING on the roof of the car. Stupid acorns. Julie seemed very startled by the noise of them all crashing on the road when we were outside, too.