Monday, August 15, 2005

Relief At Last!

A line of thunderstorms moved through northern New Jersey last night bringing rain and cooler temperatures. Most of the activity was to the north and east of where we are but even we got some most welcome rain. It was those showers that prevented the finish of the PGA Championships, dumped over 3 inches of rain in Central Park and knocked out power for residents of Bergen and Passaic Counties.

Water restrictions are abundant but have not affected my town. I've been watering my tomatoes and peppers using a bucket however since I don't want to encourage the weeds. I won't be harvesting much since the plants only seem to be getting 4 hours of sunlight a day and that is not enough. Chipmunks and squirrels have beaten me to several nice sized tomatoes. Very upsetting.

Except for the garden, the ground in the backyard (the one that doesn't have ANY grass despite my early efforts--or perhaps because of them) is like concrete. I was able to sweep (yes, sweep, not rake) the acorns up the other day and filled the wheelbarrow. The massive oaks over the house have dropped many of their acorns due to the heat of early July and the lack of rain.

Now that the truck is back, I will be able to start working on the deck and the lawn again. I'll need to use the roto-tiller to loosen the surface. I tried a soil rake but it just bounced off! The deck needs a railing around it and a coat of preservative.

2 comments:

Fausta said...

What, no deer? We can't plant a stick without the deer eating it.

joated said...

The deer are too busy with the day lillies and hasta. They haven't been around since the drought started but I expect them to return any day now now that the rains have come.