Friday, January 25, 2008

Happy Birthday Jessica!

As the day winds down I would be remiss in not wishing my daughter, Jessica, a very happy birthday. It was 28 (28!?) years ago today that she appeared upon this Earth of ours and changed the lives of her mother and I completely. Mostly for the better, I might add.

A talented musician who played any instrument they gave her in middle school and high school and Jessica went on the study Music Education at the University of Massachusetts from which she graduated in 2003. Somewhere along the way, she taught herself to read Japanese ("It's just like reading a music score, Dad.") and spent a semester in Japan.

She has mad skills on the computer and is a MAC whiz to whom I defer. (While still in high school, she assisted me and a fellow teacher in installing software in a new middle school computer lab. She also worked in her high school's and college's computer labs as a trouble shooter.) She taught herself to touch type at speeds close to 90 wpm. (I can't wiggle my fingers that fast. And she makes no mistakes.) A prolific reader, she is seldom to be found without a book or two in progress.

Additionally, she has demonstrated deft skills in the needle arts where she prefers knitting and crocheting and has spun her own yarn for numerous projects. (I think she'd like to have a couple of her own sheep, but Grandma can barely stand having the ferret in the house.) When still a youngun', she won ribbons at the New Jersey State Fair for her work in embroidery (or maybe it was counted cross stitch...my memory isn't what it used to be *sigh*).

She's also a pretty damn good cook, but I believe her little brother might give her some stiff competition if it came down to an Iron Chef battle royal!

Terry and I love her dearly and wish her many, many happy birthdays to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll drink to that!! hope the birthday was a happy one Jessica!!

Jess said...

And she makes no mistakes.

QFT.

>_> Um. Heeee. :D

Re: Rick's cooking:
I seem to remember a bowl of chicken-flavored rice soup at some point when he didn't read the directions properly...

*snugses* Thank you kindly.