Friday, January 11, 2008

Rain, rain, go away!

It’s well past noon and it’s still raining pretty heavily. I’ve tried to get an idea of when it’s going to end or at least slow down via weather.com but their forecast says I should be expecting half an inch of rain and Lord knows I’ve already gotten well above that. The interactive map is little help either. It takes so damn long to load the main page on dial-up because of those animated mortgage commercials on the sidebar that my beard has grown a quarter inch while I wait. Once you click through to the interactive map, you’ve also got to wait for like a dozen or so separate pictures (each composed of eight panels) to load to get an animation of the cloud/storm movement.

There’s something peaceful about the sound of a gentle rain on the metal roof that sends me into never-never land. Of course, when in the bedroom, I can barely hear it because of the double think ceiling. But in the living room where I guess they used solid foam insulation it is very audible. During a summer thunderstorm you can barely hear yourself think in there. And if there should be hail…well, it’s like you’re inside a snare drum with Buddy Rich banging away. Right now it’s a much more gentle background sound that makes me want to fall asleep. Especially with the fires keeping the inside of the house toasty warm and dry.

No comments: