Thursday, October 09, 2008

Heading North

I've got all my gear packed and ready to load into the Tundra fora rip up to the Bolt Hole for two weeks of deer hunting in the southern Adirondacks. The North Zone Muzzleloader season begins on Saturday and the firearms season begins the week after.

Three days in the deer stand here at the Aerie yielded not one sighting of a deer although the game camera indicated there were a couple of bucks and does that wandered by just after legal shooting time ended on each of the days I was out. I swear, the critters can read the game laws!

My trip to the north should be a real doozie. I'm taking the three cats with me and they HATE to travel. Just taking them 10 miles to the vets last spring resulted in a level of caterwauling that could have been reproduced only by a herd of thirty or forty felines. All three had soiled their cage by the time we arrived. I'll have to be sure to keep the windows cracked open and my earplugs in place just so I don't barf.

Why am I taking the cats? Terry's heading south to Atlanta on Saturday for the Smocking Arts Guild of America (SAGA) national convention. She'll be installed as president of that organization during the week. Normally, I would attend to see that but then we would have to put the cats up at the vets again and they (cats or vets, your pick) wouldn't be real happy about that. When we picked the cats up last spring, Julie's little cage had a towel draped over it and a sign that read "Beware!" as if she were a crazed bobcat. She even hissed at us when we put her in the carry case to bring home! Not putting them through that confinement again--and the hunting seasons--are reason enough for me to haul them north while Terry heads south.

Terry will visit relatives over in Columbia and Sumter, SC on her way back from Atlanta. She'll get to see her aunt and several cousins and their families. I'd like that part of the trip, but to go to Atlanta...not so much.

The weather looks good between here and the Bolt Hole for traveling today and for the next week or so up at the Bolt Hole with seasonal temperatures and some showers forecast for Thursday on. It's also bear season so....

I've also got to winterize the cabin before I leave so there's something to do besides walk in the woods with a rifle. Not that walking the woods is bad.

3 comments:

JihadGene said...

Walking in the woods sounds great. Enjoy it all.

gregor said...

good hunting and safe trip.

Shelley said...

Good Luck Hunting! My hubby is counting down the days till Nov. 15 when hunting season opens in Mich.

P.S. Can your vet give you a mild sedative for the cats? I guess I'm lucky - our cat is fine as long as we leave the cage door open. He won't leave the cage but will cry if we shut the door.