Saturday, October 25, 2008

Jumping Jehoshaphat!

When I arrived here in the north country I filled up the gas tank of the Tundra on October 10th. The price of gasoline (10% ethanol) at the local Stewart's was $3.41.9 a gallon. This morning (October 25th) I drove town to top off the tank for the ride home tomorrow and paid $2.85.9 a gallon. That's a drop of 56 cents in 15 days. And that's the NYS price I'm talking about. I wonder what it has fallen to down near the Aerie where the tab is usually 20 cents (or more) less. And to think, I was surprised last weekend when it was $3.03.

Why was I filling the gas tank instead of hunting? It's pouring outside and even though there were a slew of vehicles coming up to the hunting camps on the road I sincerely doubt anyone is out in the woods. There's no radio transmissions being made at any rate and there usually is if there are parties of hunters abroad. Besides, if I'm heading back to the aerie tomorrow with the three cats in their carry cases, I want to make as few stops as possible to get them home swiftly.

Another thing I considered was the high wind warnings that have been issued for the area. NOAA weather has said we could see gusts in the 50 mph range this afternoon coming from the southeast as a cold front, with possible thunderstorms, sweeps in from the west. Most of our strong winds have been from the west or southwest during the past year. The shift in direction could mean trees down and power outages. I'd rather have a full tank now and be here with the kitties than have to worry about not making it back to the Bolt Hole if I ran down to fill the tank later in the day.

The Bolt Hole itself is on the west-northwest side of a hill and the strongest winds could/might just blow overhead. Also, there's a bit of an open field to the south and that too should provide protection against any trees falling on the buildings.

As I said yesterday, it's a good day to be packing up and then watching some college football/World Series action--if the power stays on.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Be careful driving. Hope the kitties stay quiet! (I paid $2.35 for gas today!)