Friday, October 17, 2008

I hates meeses to pieces!

With three cats in this relatively small cabin, you would think that a mouse wouldn't stand a chance. WRONG!

Especially since the damn rodent is between the floors and appears to be smart enough not to risk its little furry tail by venturing out into the open.

Three nights in a row the little bastard has been creating a racket by gnawing on a piece of wood or something between the floor of the bedroom and living room--at 3 AM. It sounds like he has a full compliment of drums like those played by the Japanese. Deep, vibrating and oh so penetrating. I can usually shut the creep up by stamping on the floor a bit but not this night. He was very persistent.

As a result I surrendered and came down stairs at 4 AM. Fed the cats, stoked the fire and checked the temperature: 30 degrees. Then I fed myself.

In an hour or so, I'll be heading out the door in another attempt to see a deer before it sees me. At the least, I'll find my self a nice sunny hillside and take a nap.


3 comments:

Shelley said...

Good luck w/ those deer! And I'm surprised 3 kitties haven't been able to capture the little mouse - must be a wiley one!

JDP said...

Put the cats under the cabin and tell em they can't come back out until they get the little noisemaker.

JDP

joated said...

jdp- If only it were that simple. The mouse is between floors or in the wall, not under the cabin. (Although there are probably plenty there, too.)

shellmo--They are the laziest bunch you ever wanted to see. I swear they sleep 20 hours a day. (Three of the other four are for eating and using the latrine! The remaining hour is their time to gang up on me and purr me to death.)