Friday, March 20, 2009

Best laid plans, yadda, yadda....

I had intended to drive up to the Bolt Hole this morning for a couple of days of look-see and maintenance but....

I took the Tundra up the mountain to see what conditions the roads were in up there. They have limited to no winter maintenance and are usually pretty muddy right about now. The first leg wasn't bad (the limited maintenance part) but then I started to find mud that was 6 to 12 inches deep and the rear end started to fishtail. Then, without my having done anything, the ABS light came on, and the 4Hi and the VSC off lights started blinking. All while the vehicle was still in 2WD. Not good. I finished my circuit trying to get the lights to go back to normal by stopping, selecting 4Hi and even 4Lo and then going back to 2WD but had no luck.

When I got back to the Aerie, I checked the owner's manual and it said that the blinking 4Hi and VSC off lights might indicate a problem with the brakes and that I should get the vehicle serviced ASAP. I had it in the shop for an oil change and a 28-point inspection just 10 days ago.

So, this morning bright and early, I went down to Mansfield and washed all the mud off the truck paying special attention to the front wheels and when the lights were still blinking, called the dealer's service department. This afternoon they tied the entire thing to the ABS sensor having gone kablooie. Parts are on order and should be in their hands on Monday.

I asked if it was safe to drive and was told, "Sure, if you don't mind those blinking lights and have no need of 4-wheel drive." (It won't switch to either 4Hi or 4Lo under the current conditions.)

I'm still going up to the Bolt Hole tomorrow morning for a couple of days. There's no snow int he forecast and the road is paved right to my yard. I'll just have to be cautious about driving on the lawn to get to the front door. It can get real muddy when all that snow melts.

I'm told there's a good chance the yard will be down to bare grass where it had been plowed/blown clear but to expect 20-30 inches of snow in the fields and woods.

Could be worse, it's -11 degrees in Nome and there are still a slew of mushers on the trail. (Only 28 of 57 have completed their trek as I type.)

3 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Remember the good old days, before the cars thought for you? Lock the hubs before you leave, and just move the transfer case lever into 4WD when the going gets rough. No questions, no blinking idiot lights ... just go.

joated said...

Yeah. Now everything is computer controlled and coordinated. And from the way they behave sometimes I do believe those computers are programmed by Microsoft.

JihadGene said...

Ref Musher's...
Far as I'm going north is Fresno.
JG ;)