Thursday, March 12, 2009

Birding on my own and by truck

I went up to the lakes this afternoon to see how much open water there is. The answer is
"Not much!"

Cowenesque Lake is nearly completely ice. Only the far western end were the river runs into the lake is open but that proved to be a hot bed of water fowl activity. Canada Geese and Tundra Swans were there in pretty large numbers. The geese, however, are already pairing up for the spring nesting season while the swans will be heading north with the next thaw. Pintail (Long-tailed) Ducks and Mallards were also abundant. There were smaller ducks I could not postively ID further out than my binoculars could reach. They may have been Green-winged Teal based upon two that I flushed (but couldn't get a positive ID on) just as I walked down to the lake.

I only stayed for a short time as there was a pretty stiff wind and some snow flurries. Here's the species list for the half hour I was there:

Canada Goose X
Tundra Swan X
Mallard X
Northern Pintail X
Ring-necked Pheasant X
Pileated Woodpecker X
American Crow X
Black-capped Chickadee X
White-breasted Nuthatch X
American Robin X
Song Sparrow X

The Pileated was hammering at the base of a white pine right where I parked the truck. It let me walk to within 15 feet of where it was working and walk away without flushing. It didn't take off until I started the engine.

I also stopped at The Muck off Route 287 to see what was up. Again I didn't stay long as there was a cold, stiff breeze and only a little open water near the blind. A half hour produced several Wood Duck, Tundra Swans and Canada Geese. There were also some Hooded Mergansers right in front of the blind. (They left as I approached or I would have felt bad about leaving my camera in the truck.) here's the list from The Muck:

Canada Goose X
Tundra Swan X
Wood Duck X
Mallard X
Hooded Merganser X
Red-tailed Hawk X
Mourning Dove X
American Crow X
Black-capped Chickadee X
Red-winged Blackbird X
Common Grackle X


From The Muck, I drove up Rt. 287 to the Rail Road Grade Trail that leads to Ives Run Recreation Area. I drove slowly along the RRGT and then around the shore of Hammond Lake. Crooked Creek (the major feeder run for Hammond Lake) was ice free but also bird free. There were a few species along the side of the road including a Ruffed Grouse, but not many individuals or species.

The lake itself was mostly frozen although there was open water near the inlet and along the north shore where the sun hits hardest and the water is shallow. The lake was drawn down last fall and most of that north shore was mud flat. Now the lake is filling and that area is flooded. Perhaps that's the reason it is open water. There were hundreds of Ring-billed Gulls flying over that open water. There were also 75-100 Tundra Swans taking advantage of the water. On the ice there were American Crows and three immature Bald Eagles. Canada Geese and Mallards were abundant and there were many smaller water fowl that I could not get a handle on from the boat launch area. If I had my spotting scope I might have had better luck. Anyway, here's the list from 45 minutes along the RRGT and Hammond Lake:

Canada Goose X
Tundra Swan X
Mallard X
Ruffed Grouse X
Bald Eagle X
Ring-billed Gull X
Mourning Dove X
Downy Woodpecker X
Blue Jay X
American Crow X
Black-capped Chickadee X
Tufted Titmouse X
American Robin X
European Starling X
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored) X

Approximately 25 different species in all. Not a bad afternoon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

no pictures? c'mon, i'm in house arrest again. have some of that cherry tobacco for me, i'm shakin'

joated said...

"House arrest"? I take it the fever hasn't gone down and you're starting to cough up a lung. Strange thing about spring weather. The fluctuations can really give rise to viral and bacterial lung diseases.

I know it's difficult for you to sit back and relax and let the meds go to work but that's about what you've got to do.