Sunday, March 01, 2009

Sliding away!

I've been spending a lot of time scanning slides (when not splitting firewood or photographing opposums or birds out the window) and have come to the conclusion that back in the 70s when I was using a Minolta X-102 (I think) I really stunk as a photographer. Many of my slides are blurry (no auto focus on that old camera) and the lighting was terrible. I got better over the years and some of the photos I took in the 90s, when I got a newer Minolta X-700 are not to bad. Of course, the digital SLR I'm using now (a Sony Alpha) is a gazillion times better. (Even the pocket sized Canon PowerShot S40 and the Nikon CoolPix I've got on my spotting scope for digiscoping are head and shoulders above that first Minolta.) Even I don't screw up more than three or four shots out of every twenty-five or so. And then it's because I was in a rush to snap a picture and didn't pay attention to what the camera was focusing on.

I also realize (too late) that I never took enough pictures of the people. I've tons of pictures of landscape, birds, flowers, etc. but very few of people. That's just the opposite of the box of photos Mom and Dad left. Almost every one of their pictures was of someone or something really, really important. Friends, neighbors, relatives, Christmas morning under the tree, a new car or house (with the proud owner standing in the picture) are all found in those one or two boxes and albums. Not so much in my slide boxes. *sigh*

1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

Don't feel alone - since we've been in Alaska, I have tons of scenery shots, but not so much of my family and friends.

Thanks you mentioning it, however, I've 'refocused.' (pun intended) Thanks.