Thursday, October 01, 2009

Aerie Report, October 1, 2009

I had to turn the heat on this evening. After building a fire this morning (and putting another log on it at noon) the house temperature did get up to 68 degrees, but the outside temperature today never got to 46 degrees (48.6 was the highest at 4 PM). Tonight's low is supposed to be in the 30s--again--although, perhaps, five or six degrees colder than the 39 we had this morning.

Weather.com says the average high for 1 October is around 67 degrees. They have also posted another Frost Advisory for tonight. Since the winds have pretty much died, they could be right this time.

******

The clouds stayed around all day today with a few short, heavy showers and a few little mizzling ones. Just enough precipitation to make going outside undesirable. So, I went to the workshop, instead.

Measuring three and four times as I set up the table saw, I tried to make absolutely sure I cut my 1/4" thick oak, walnut and cherry into the correct dimensions. Last time I goofed and ended up with pieces that could not be cobbled together to form the square I wanted. Once everything was cut to my satisfaction, I ran the strips through the router to put a 1/8" round over on the long sides and glued up three of the diamonds together. Other pieces got cut into small squares and triangles. Tomorrow I'll glue up the other two diamond structures and do more router work. (I'll also try to remember to take some photos!)

2 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

You're having that Anchorage weather again - to be fair, we got up to 50 today.

I hope your project works better than before, regarding the size/shape of the pieces. Personally, though, I thought it looked pretty good last time.

joated said...

To be fair, I should mention that the first square turned out pretty well. That's the one that I had all the pictures of. The second one. Well, that one not so much. I sanded the strips a little too narrow in an attmept to make them look really smooth on edges you'd never see anyway and that resulted in diamonds that were not of equal dimensions on all sides. When trying to assemble them into a star pattern it just didn't work. *sigh* Lesson learned and all that.