Saturday, October 03, 2009

Aerie Report, October 3, 2009

Today was the opening day of the archery season for deer here in PA. With the rains of the last few days, I never did get a chance to set up my tree stand--if I could find out where the deer have been traveling. I took a walk around the property during a lull in the weather a week ago and saw very little to indicate any deer were strolling though the property. Today I repeated the process and still could find no deer sign.

It might be that the logging, the gas drilling, the pipeline laying and the wind mill construction have all played a part in changing the patterns of the deer and sending them into the deepest woods they can find. A very good crop of acorns from the oaks has probably encouraged them to stay in the deep woods, too.

There's no Sunday hunting and the weather (after the 40% chance of showers this evening) promises to be good again tomorrow, so I'll probably take another walk about to check out some corners of the acreage that I didn't visit today. I'm not real optimistic, however.

******

Speaking of the weather. Today was just gorgeous! The sun came out, it didn't rain, and the temperature rose to 64 degrees. I went out and checked the rain gauge and found 0.53 inches of rain since yesterday morning. Looking at the widely scattered rain in Michigan during today's game, we may get some tonight. Then there's the snow out in Wyoming and South Dakota. Hopefully that snow will change to rain showers, as predicted, before they get here later in the week.

******

I made the adjustments to the diamonds in the woodshop today and dry fit them together. I also dry fit a couple of the corner squares which are composed of eight little diamonds, four squares and four triangles. TO get them to fit neatly into a square shape may require the judicious use of some fine sand paper, but fit they will. Then there are some border and framing pieces yet to be cut. I might be able to begin gluing things to the backboard tomorrow.

No comments: