Friday, October 16, 2009

Bolt Hole Report, October 16, 2009

I spent part of yesterday afternoon refamilarizing myself with my muzzle loader and .30-.30 carbine. Both have iron sights and getting the sight picture correct and ingrained into my thought process is a necessity before carrying either into the field. Suffice to say that I'm now comfortable with both and confident that I can hit anything I can see in the thick woods--which usually limits my view to 100 yards or less.

I've two more weapons I need to get out of their cases and onto the bench: the 12-gauge slug gun and the .270. Both of those have scopes and past experience tells me that neither shifts over time-especially since I'm the only one that's handled the cases. Shouldn't take more than a shot or three to ensure that they are still true.

******

Another part of yesterday was spent moving firewood from the open barn into the wood shed attached to the cabin. We've had some jerks stealing wood from the barn in the last couple of weeks and I need to protect it from further five finger reduction if I'm going to be here through the middle of November or come up at any time during the winter.

Someone also sabotaged two of our game cameras breaking the sensors on both. They were located on Mark's side of the road and one was a short iron shot from his cabin. Another camera was stolen off the tree on my side of the road.

I've got posted signs along the road but will be looking to get some to do the other three boundaries of the property. There have been too many instances where people are wandering through thinking they are on state land or coming in from the 400 acres piece to the west that's up for sale. (Apparently the realtor has been giving people permission to hunt that parcel.)

******

Terry reports that the Aerie received 3-4 inches of snow but the roads and driveways (packed clay and gravel in the immediate area) only had about 1 inch on them this morning. She's going to shovel off what snow is on the deck and put some more bird seed in the tray that's out there before packing the Jeep to head for NJ.

Here at the Bolt Hole, the temperature never got below 30 degrees overnight and, despite a falling barometer, we got nothing but frost. The sun is out now but that may change as it so often does here in the southern 'Dacks. We seem to be at the crossroads of many a weather system, some from the south, some from the north, some from the west, some from the east. We're at the southeastern limit of the snow belt from Lake Ontario (if the wind comes steadily out of the northwest we can really get socked!) and the innermost reaches of the nor'easters. Makes life interesting.

******

I've got to get myself packed up after lunch and head down to NJ for my niece's wedding. The rehearsal is tonight at 7 PM in Dumont. That's east of I-287...heck, it's east of the Parkway!... which is beyond my normal stomping ground. In fact, it's in the quadrant of the state that I view as my least favorite to visit so I'm not exactly looking forward to the trip. But I was asked to do a reading and agreed so I'll suck it up and head into those mean streets.

Tonight, I'll stay at my MIL's in Linden with Terry and we'll all go to the wedding on Saturday then the reception Saturday night. Sunday AM I'll be running back up the NYS Thruway to the Bolt Hole again.


No comments: