Saturday, December 26, 2009

Aerie Report, December 26, 2009

It's been a rainy day here at the Aerie. Being on the eastern side of the Big Storm hitting Minnesota and the Dakotas means we're getting moist warm air dragged up from the south and east. The rain hasn't been torrential but it's certainly been continuous. Between the rain and the temperatures climbing into the low-40s, virtually all the snow on the ground has disappeared. Most has simply melted but some has contributed to the fog that's often referred to as "rotting" snow. Actually, that's usually just the very moist air being cooled below the dew point by the snow and ice on the ground. The result of that cooling is condensation and fog.

I had to spent some time spreading salt on the driveway when I went out this morning to go get the mail. The snow packed by driving on it had turned to a sheet of ice that made walking on the slope an exciting experience. Continued warm temperatures and rain mixed with the salt to break up nearly all of the ice by darkness.

******

Football. Football. Football.

Still not doing well on my bowl picks. Only Rutgers and Utah have been on my winning list so far making me 2-5. Ouch! Pitt's looking good, however. Especially with stupid plays/penalties by N. Carolina.
[UPDATE: Oy! A field goal with 62 seconds left to win the game for Pitt 19-17.]

I will say, however that it's frustrating to make my picks and then learn that there are players being sent home for violating team rules or breaking laws or not making the trip to a bowl because they were too stupid to pass six (6) hours during the semester. I don't know ho much things have changed, but when I went to RU between '67 and '71 six hours amounted to two classes. One engineering course could be five hours. A biology lab was four hours. I'll forgive those kids who couldn't play because of injury but breaking rules and laws or not maintaining your grades? Idiots.

No comments: