Monday, December 21, 2009

Dinner Company

So. I'm standing at the kitchen sink preparing my dinner when I glance outside to see that I've got company.
Black Bear at the metal feeder.

"Yeah, I'm talking to you!"


It's not a big bear; probably its first winter without Momma. The feeder's less than four feet off the ground. Still, even at around 150 pounds it can put a sizable dent in the seed budget not to mention the feeder damage.

It took a little shouting and a bit of banging on the deck rail to shoo it away. If it comes back, the feeders will have to come in over night. And that is a PIA.

[UPDATE: The little bugger came back after dark. Tried to sneak in to the feeders but I was alerted by Julie Cat running back and forth from window to window. The feeders are now in the house.*sigh*]

[UPDATE 2: The rotten SOB came back again. I brought in all but one feeder, the one that was mounted on top of a metal post. It's a large feeder holding 203 pounds of sunflower seed. It's made of heavy metal and has a wire cage to keep the squirrels out. The bear bent the pole at the ground, separated the feeder from the top but could not get to the seeds. Julie didn't warn me this time. She was curled at my feet basking in my praise. (And having eaten a portion of my chicken dinner.)]

6 comments:

Cassie said...

He sure looks like his tummy is full!! Is that from robbing all the local birdfeeders? Patrick just told me what a PIA is.hahahaha. My (mostly) blind mother refuses to take down her bird feeders and every year the bears wreak havoc on them. I hope you scared him off!
Merry Christmas to you and yours!!

Rev. Paul said...

But all the poor baby wanted was ... well, whatever you have. Dang shame they're not in season all the time, ain't it?

joated said...

Cassie- Not much of a neighborhood around here. But the nearest dog was barking like crazy and the goats were bleating to beat the band an hour before this one showed up.

Rev.-- We get a three day season in the second week in November. Darn bears read the bulletin! You know, you make sound like the bear's a Democrat: "...all the poor baby wanted was...whatever you have.

threecollie said...

Isn't he supposed to be hibernating?

joated said...

threecollie--You would think so, but perhaps he was hanging around with mom all summer and she told him (her?) it was time to fend for him(her)self just as she was getting ready to den up. She (Momma) may be expecting again. Or she didn't make it through the hunting season.

Anonymous said...

black bears hybernate when food is scarce, ground is consistantly covered, temps are consistantly below freezing