Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I lied.

Instead of completely relaxing today, Terry and I went over to Sears and bought a lawn mower for the Aerie. I figured it was about time to cut the "grass" that had been growing. Most of it is really weeds of the pasture variety but with fall around the corner I'm sort of hoping that the grass will start to take over and fill in the blank areas. Don seeded it last fall and covered the whole yard with hay straw and a surprising amount of grass did grow on the clay/rock fill--at least enough to slow erosion on the sloping lawn area. Now all we need is some rain to water the grasses that are there.

I'm sure the nightly rabbits will be surprised to find their salad in much shorter supply when the come out in an hour or two.

On our way back, we stopped and arranged to have a dump truck load of what passes for top soil to be delivered to fill in behind the retaining wall and to, hopefully, fill a raised bed or two for garden flowers and vegetables.

1 comment:

GUYK said...

I have bought too darned many of those loads of what passes to be topsoil..the last I bought ( just last month ) was supposed to have been clean soil but had some weed seeds in it that I have never seen..all of a sudden I have some stuff growing that is nowhere else near here and I damn shore didn't plant it.