Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Some photo's of yesterday's work

I snapped a couple of pics of the things I did yesterday around the Aerie...just so you can see I wasn't kidding.

Small wall
The short retaining wall on the west end of the deck has gotten most of its back fill.


Back filled long wall
Compacting of the soil in the filled area after last week's heavy rain required more wheelbarrows full of fill.


From the other end
The area slopes down toward where I'm standing in this photo and some erosion of the fill took place. That was another reason to add more dirt.


First raised bed
You can see the U-shape of the bed with the redbud in the center. You can also see I have a lot of churning up to do yet before the second row of timbers and fill can be added. (Timbers are 8-foot and 4-foot long.)


Stones, Just pickin' up stones.
Some of the stones/rocks/boulders from just 16 square feet of the area I want to use for raised beds.


So that's how I spent my Monday afternoon. And, with all the stones in the raised bed area, how I'll be spending several days to come.

2 comments:

GUYK said...

If I had those stones I would be making my raised beds from them instead of timbers..flat rock of any kind comes at a high price in my area..has to be freighted in and that costs big bucks.

joated said...

I've got 17 acres of flat stones to choose from but want to get these beds up this fall. Over time, I'll collect enough stone from around the place to built up the walls of my beds but for expediency, timber.