Sunday, May 25, 2008

Another lousy night

If you noticed the time stamp on this and the previous post, you'll note that I did not sleep well last night. I woke around 3 AM and struggled unsuccessfully to fall asleep again before finally giving up around 4 AM and moving downstairs to the delight of the kitty-cats who got fed early. Precisely why I woke and stayed awake may remain a mystery. I seldom remember any dreams and, until I was awake for a while, I had little difficulty breathing. (I've still got a small amount of the bronchial problems that sent me to the doc two weeks ago. Most of what remains can probably be blamed upon tree pollen and cat dander.)

I do know that once I had awakened I found the pillows a cold, sweaty, clammy mess. The sort of thing that would make me feel uncomfortably putting my head upon. I also was extremely warm which is odd since the room was only 65 degrees or so. (The heat is turned off, the window was open 4 inches and it was a bare 40 degrees outside.) It was extremely quiet outside and the cats were sound asleep until I got up and switched on the lights. Even then they remained silent knowing I was getting dressed and would be out shortly to feed them.

As I lay there in bed attempting to get some more shut-eye, I kept thinking about the three trips I've got to make this summer/fall. The first is a short hop to NJ for a retirement party for several former coworkers. This little one day jaunt will require driving about 250 miles one way (one tank of gas in the Tundra) and a stay in a motel for the night. With the current gas prices I figure the total bill will be around $250 Not including the cost of the party and the associated booze.

The second trip will be a bit more extensive and expensive. My niece/God-daughter is getting wed in San Francisco the end of June and Terry and I are flying out of Newark airport for a long weekend stay. Air fare, motel, rental car, meals (at least those that are not part the wedding), Terry's new dress, possible new sport jacket and slacks.... It's already starting to show up on the credit card bills. And I hate to fly commercial. Especially looooong flights like these.

The third trip will be the end of September/beginning of October. Terry will be installed as the national president of the Smocking Arts Guild of America (see the sidebar for the link) and I must play first husband or some such roll. This takes place at SAGAs National Convention held this year in Atlanta, Georgia. Two years ago we took the trailer and I parked on the outskirts of town for a couple of days while she did her thing. I can't get away with that this year. I'd still like to have the trailer so we could do some sightseeing/visiting while down that way but it's the middle of the bear/deer season in the Adirondacks. Archery is ending and muzzleloader will just be starting. The freezer will be empty of venison unless I get into the woods. I've got a feeling we may be flying again. Did I mention how much I hate to fly commercial?


No comments: