Sunday, May 11, 2008

Indigo Buntings: Flashes of bright blue

When we started building the Aerie two years ago, each morning we would have an Indigo Bunting land in the tops of the poplar trees and sing to welcome the morning sun over the mountain. Last year this tiny blue jewel repeated the performance and stayed active around the feeders almost all summer. Earlier this week, I thought I saw one come in to the same spot but, since it was back lit, I couldn’t be 100% sure. It did sound right however and the profile seemed to be the right shape and size, but it might have been a Purple Finch. Today there was no question as to the identity of the two that came into the feeders
Indigo Bunting
This brightly colored little bird seems to be saying, “Hallo! My name is Indigo Bunting. You stole my seed. Prepare to die!”

And, as this one perched upon the shepherd’s hook upon which the feeders hang, I could only think of the Captain Morgan Rum ads. He definitely appears to have a bit of the Captain in him.

Indigo Bunting

In reality, the Indigo may be a very shy little bird. He sings from the tippy-tops of the trees; often hidden amongst the leaves--and not much bigger than the leaves, either.

1 comment:

Erica said...

That is a disarmingly beautiful bird...wow. I've never seen one like that, in reality, or in photos. Gorgeous.