Sunday, May 18, 2008

Weather--Bah! Humbug!

After yesterday morning's bird walk, I came back to the Aerie to do some gardening. The pile of earth we had delivered the end of last summer is still present but it's growing smaller every time I haul 5 to 10 wheelbarrows of it about the yard. From its current size I would say there's about a dozen or so wheelbarrows of earth yet to be relocated--I just don't know where to put it.

Anyway, I moved 5 wheelbarrows over to an area behind the bird feeders where there was a natural depression. I shored up one end with some logs left from the crew that cleared the electric right of way and made leveled the area (about 3 feet by 8 feet). I had already moved several loads of leaves, grass clippings and about 10 wheelbarrows of earth to this area so it's pretty loaded.

The reason for this particular bed was to locate three climatis plants that were quickly outgrowing their pots. I wired three 8-foot long maple poles together in a teepee formation to offer a climbing platform and put one plat at the foot of each pole.

I also planted the area under the west end of the deck with some pachysandra that Terri had picked up last week. It too was growing very well in its little six-pack and needed to get in the ground. Each cell of the six pack held three or four well-rooted cuttings so, if it all takes, it should fill the area quite well.

I finished around 2 o'clock and joined the Mets-Yankees game in progress. I was just in time to see Johnny Damon get thrown out at the plate in what even the YES broadcasting crew admitted was the turning point of the game. (The Mets, losing at that time 2-0, went on to win 7-4.)

As the game progressed, I looked out the window to see I would not have to go out later to water the plants I had just put in the soil, Mother Nature was doing that job for me. We've had light showers off and on since about 4 PM Saturday and may well get some heavier rains later this afternoon/evening. And still the folks at Accuweather say we are below the norm for the month.

Last year was very dry and may have led to some of the problems we had with our relatively shallow well (135 feet) producing water laced with very fine clay sediment that made it through the 1 micron filter we use. This year, due to the snow melt and frequent rains, we have yet to experience any problems. So I would guess there is some siver lining to this wet weather.

Another benefit would be that we have no need to visit England, Ireland or Scotland. We've got all the cold, damp, drizzly weather we can handle right here.

No comments: