Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Bolt Hole Report, October 5, 2010
Enough Already!

Jeeze, Louise! Last week when I was preparing to travel from the Aerie to the Bolt Hole, the weather forecasters were talking about a chance of showers on Monday and Tuesday of this week, but their numbers were in the 30 and 40% range. So what happens? It's been raining pretty steadily since Sunday evening and they now predict showers for the rest of the week (at least through Friday) in the 70 and 80% range.

As of now, the weekend is looking nice. Hope it stays that way. No, make that: I hope the forecasters are as accurate with this short range forecast as they were last Friday morning. (That would mean the sun will come out this afternoon and stay out for a week!)

******

At least the wood got split last Saturday. Unfortunately, it's been sitting in a heap out there in this rain and will be soaking wet when I finally get to go out a stack it.

As for where it will be stacked...Sunday Mark and I spent the morning bracing up the roof of the woodshed attached to the house. Then I spent some time moving the wood that was already in there into a more accessible location (away from the back wall and closer to the door to the kitchen) so I can put the newly spit wood in there to season a bit longer while still having some "older" wood to burn this fall.

Moving the firewood away from the wall exposed some serious damage to the exterior wall and one of the corners in particular. The damn thing was constructed on rough-cut 2 x 6 sills laid directly on the ground. Carpenter ants love that stuff! As does all sorts of fungi. In one corner, where the rain ans snow melt comes off of two roofs in large quantities, moisture, fungi and ants have pretty much turned a non-pressure treated rough-cut sill into soil and a post into so much lace. I'll probably spend lots more time replacing this wood shed in the near future so, for now, I simply braced that corner up as best I could so I can get the firewood inside when the weather does finally clear.

I should have been ready for all these Bolt Hole repairs after years of watching This Old House but most of them still are coming as a surprise.

******

I guess I'll have to switch over to some rainy-day projects.

Put on my electrician's hat and do some rewiring. Lots of canvas and tar wires that need to be replaced and a couple of 25-amp circuit breakers to be switched out to 15-amp service so the breakers can do their job of tripping off when the circuit is overloaded instead of having the outlet or junction boxes fry and, maybe, burning the place down.

Then there will be a trip to the grocery store. And, probably, the hardware store.

1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

Sounds like you've got some work cut out for you. Okay, that's a bad pun, but you know what I mean.

Be careful, and good luck.