Thursday, July 05, 2007

Bear redux

Did I mention that the bear came back last night? Just after dark I heard the hanging bird bath, the only thing we leave out overnight, crash to the ground. I looked out in time to see the tail end of the bear (I assume it's the same one that showed up at noon) disappear under the deck. Using my million watt flashlight I went out about 15 minutes later to retrieve the birdbath and assess any damage that might have been done. No harm was done to the plastic birdbath but I brought it in anyway so it could be refilled this morning.

And the bear returned again this evening at 8:30 just after we brought in all the feeders. It walked down the driveway, past the deck and down the trail into the woods pausing only once to pose as I called to Terry to look out her window.

It's obvious to me that the little sting my air rifle made had no effect upon its behavior. We'll just have to be real careful about leaving any food materials outside and hope the bear moves on. Right now, it seems too comfortable around the house to suit me.

3 comments:

GUYK said...

BAWAHAHAHA I doubt that a pellet even fazed the bear...not much will but noise. Might try a security light
hooked to a loud tape recorder that will make some gun noises

joated said...

Actually, the pellet gave the bear a case of the two-step. He jumped into the woods for a half a dozen steps. But it's obvious that the bird-shot we used in Quebec did a better job.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.