Monday, July 30, 2007

Best laid plans...

Well, I had that cup of coffee and made a list. Then went outside and started to burn some of the stumps left from clearing the land. I intended to start moving stones (flatties) around and breaking up the soil but the pyromaniac inside just grabbed control.

Luckily, there is enough slash from when the power company cleared the right of way that I could keep the fire small and have plenty of branches to feed it. But it did take all day to burn the two stumps down to lumps about the size of five gallon buckets. Since one was from a maple that was a good 9 inches in diameter and three feet long, I consider this acceptable. The root balls contain much clay earth and stone which acts as a great insulator and prevents the fire from consuming much. I need to knock that earth out before I can burn the remainder. But that's okay because that earth and some of the charcoal left from burning goes into the compost pile once it's cooled sufficiently. I'll need all I can get to break up the clay composition of the soil so i can plant flowers and vegetables next spring.

I'm off to the Bolt Hole early Tuesday morning for three days of toil. Most of that will be done hauling and splitting wood. Painting the roof will have to wait until I can purchase the materials. Maybe I can get some time in with the bow if my arms and back aren't too sore from hauling logs.

No comments: