Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Back to work!
Or: Working my back!

Started the retaining wall today. (Of course! It's one of the hottest days of the summer.) I got two and a half rows of blocks up and hould have the first 5 rows up by tomorrow night. (I'm going birding in the morning.)

After those first five rows, things get stepped back every two rows so there are fewer blocks per row. (The first five have 15 blocks each.) I will probably finish on Friday if the rains don't interrupt my work.

It's actually going up quite easily. As with any construction project the key is to make sure everything starts off level and plumb. I, therefore, had to be sure to get the packed fine stone level for the first row. Once that was done (with help from Terry) it's been a snap. Except that each block weighs a ton! (Okay, 85 pounds.) At least with the hand truck I can move two blocks from the pallets to the wall at a time and get them in place and I don't have to carry them across the yard by hand.

I'll be posting some before and after photos on Friday.

No comments: