Sunday, August 19, 2007

Chores again

I did get some work done outside today. Hauled another 15 wheelbarrows of soil to the one retaining wall. I'll see how it settles after we get some rain (hopefully tomorrow) and then decide if I need to bring any more to that area.

i also hauled some "flatties", pieces of slate from around the edge of the yard to build up some end walls on both retaining walls and threw a couple of wheelbarrows of stone behind the short one.

Two hours seemed like enough to me after the long day yesterday and when ten or twenty drops fell from a passing cloud, I packed it in.

I'm planning on heading up to the Bolt Hole tomorrow for a couple of days. I've a few chores up there that need doing and some things in storage int he garage I want to bring down to PA. Checking the weather, it seems to have been just as cold up there as here--and just as dry. The rain forecast for PA is not supposed to reach there, however, it's sliding to the southeast. There are some afternoon T-storms in the forecast so I'll have to work around them as I move firewood around and cut the grass. Just hope I don't have to light any fires in the stoves. it's too damn early for that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We did one of those castle stone retaining walls in one of our first Ohio houses. Just locked 'em in to about 6' high, put fill behind it, levelled it, seeded it and 3 years later during a very, very wet spring the middle of the stone wall bulged out from all the hydraulic pressure. :-(

The next one we did at another home we bought we put 6" drain pipe behind the first course, then 24" of 3/4" gravel on top of the drainpipe, then landscape fabric on top of it all and THEN dirt fill on top of that. My son tells me that wall is still there doing looking good 7 years later.

A hard lesson learned.