Sunday, August 12, 2007

Some bird pics

I took my digiscoping equipment over to Ives Run this morning to see if I could get any decent pictures. Ives Run, on Hammond Lake, is where we went Birding on Thursday and had some excellent views of Great Blue Herons, Ospreys and Bald Eagles as well as numerous smaller birds. Today the big guys weren't quite as cooperative. The Great Blues took off as soon as I was within a hundred yards and the Ospreys and Eagles stayed 150 to 200 yards from me. I tried using the zoom function on the camera, but mixed with the field scope it was too much to hope for. I did get two or three pictures of the Osprey that weren't too bad but there were none of the immature bald eagle that are worth even showing.

Still, I did get 17-18 shots of a very cooperative Green Heron that fished from a rock/log just 20 yards from the fishing pier.

Green Heron 16 8-12-07

Green Heron 11 8-12-07

And there were several Greater Yellowlegs wading in the water that gave me some nice silhouettes.

G. Yellowlegs 2 8-12-07

So the day wasn't a total waste.

Here's one of an Osprey taken using the zoom function on the camera. You can see why I wasn't thrilled about it.

Osprey 2 8-12-07

I think it was just a little too far for the focus to narrow in on the bird. Oh well, live and learn.

One good thing about digital photography, you get osee your mistakes quickly and they don't really cost you a bundle to have them developed.

No comments: