Friday, May 16, 2008

New visitor to the Aerie--Baltimore Oriole

A new bird for the Aerie this rainy morning. I stepped out on the deck and saw a flash of orange and black in the trees across the clearing. And then a second. I was sure they were two male Baltimore Orioles and then I heard the rasping call notes and was positive. They were chasing one another in the low shrubs on the hillside and flitted out into the open of the poplar trees. One chased the other down the hillside dodging in and out of the trees and shrubs as they went.

This is the first time I’ve seen any Orioles on the property and I hope it won’t be the last.

While I had no chance to get a photograph of these birds, pictures and more information about them can be found here and here.

3 comments:

Erica said...

Just between us two Mets fans, I think you should call it Davey. As in Johnson.

:-)

Erica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JihadGene said...

Wow, that's a beautiful bird! None out my way. Hope the weather breaks for you! 100 degrees today in central California. To the pool!

RYLT!
JihadGene