Monday, December 22, 2008

"...the careless feel of a bit of steel..."

"... burns like a red-hot spit?" (R. W. Service "The Ballad of Blasphemous Bill"

Well, it's not exactly 69 below, but it is pretty darn cold out there this morning.

As befits the first full day of Winter and one of the shortest day of the year, today is colder than a well digger's tootsies. The wind howled all night out of the northwest and the thermometer read a mere 0.9 degrees at 7:30 AM. It had been as low as minus 0.8 degrees an hour earlier. The "good" news is the sky is clear and we should get some sunshine today. Of course that clear sky is one of the reasons it's so dang cold. No blanket of clouds to keep the heat in over night.

I ventured out to replenish the tray bird feeders and scatter some seed on the ground for those who prefer that form of feeding and I could feel the icy fingers of the wind attempting to get through the zipper of my coat. When I came back in the house my glasses fogged up instantly and I had to remove them. No worry about the cats trying to sneak outside--they ran the other way as soon as I opened the door to get back in. No dummies they!

I heard the snow plow/cinder truck go up and down the hill a little bit ago so I guess I'll have to go out and dig the frozen crap from the end of the driveway before I can head down to the post office. Before I do that, however, I believe I will need another big mug of hot coffee.

PS: I blame global warming.


5 comments:

Richard said...

Put another log on the fire, the colder stuff is on the way. It's a balmy -19 here in Minn. this morning.

Rev. Paul said...

We're positively tropical in comparison - 6 above in south Anchorage, with freezing fog. The good news (I think) is that we're supposed to slowly get colder all week, which tends to mean y'all will warm up again. Put on another pot of coffee, too!

joated said...

Actually, Richard, Accu-Hunch is saying the high will be around 40 degrees Wednesday through Friday. Sounds like that cold bubble of air will be retreating back into Canada...or sitting over Wisconsin for awhile.

Shelley said...

My cat ran out on the deck - dug a few holes in the snow and then cried to come back in. Let it snow, let it snow, let is snow!

JihadGene said...

More coffee!