Friday, December 05, 2008

I spent the day with Didius Falco

It was a mere 18 degrees and snowing this morning and although both of those conditions changed soon after I got out of bed at 7 AM, I opted to stay in today. It did warm up to 30 degrees--briefly, and it did stop snowing--for most of the day.

Instead of going outside, I did some reading. I picked up a couple of Lindsy Davis mysteries at the library last week along with a few Bernard Cornwell novels. I've only managed to read one of the Davis books (I've nearly finished the second and have a third on the night stand). If I can stay off the internet, these historical mysteries and novels are like popcorn or potato chips: pour some into a bowl and you will find your hand going into that bowl and up to your mouth in a steady rhythm. The bowl is empty in short order. Once I crack the cover of one of the Davis mysteries or the Cornwell novels, the book will be done in about 8-10 hours. (I'm no speed reader. I do manage about 30-40 pages an hour, however.)

The Cornwell books I borrowed were three from the Saxon Chronicles Series. I had read The Last Kingdom a month ago and these would finish the four book series. I wanted to read some of the Richard Sharpe stories--I had read books one and two of that series last month, also--but the library was missing the third and fifth of the Sharpe books as well as several books from later in the series, so I thought I might pass on Sharpe for a bit.

Tomorrow, I will be heading out early in the morning. I'll stuff my feet in plastic bags (as a commenter suggested a few days ago and as Mark has told me he does). I may need to as the morning temperature is likely to be around 15 degrees. I was hoping that, being Saturday, it might be another active day on the part of other hunters. After all, those who had to go back to work or school on Tuesday would have the chance to return to the field. But the cold weather may cause some of them to reconsider. Already, the hunting camp next door is empty. The members have apparently returned to their Lancaster homes.


No comments: