Tuesday, December 02, 2008

PA deer season (Rifle) day 2

I don't know if it was sitting in the cold wind yesterday afternoon or the disappointment of the missed chance, but when I heard the wind howling this morning (15-20 miles per hour with substantial gusts) I just lost all interest in going outside today. It didn't help that I felt a bit under the weather.

From the lack of rifle shots in the valley below and absolutely none for the hillsides above (south) or to the west, it didn't sound like I missed much. The deer don't take long to educate. It's a true instance of being quick to learn or being dead.

I lay on the couch all day dozing and reading but just around 4 PM I drove down to Wally World to get some hardware for a project I've got in mind. There were a few trucks parked along side the road and I could see a few hunters set up on the edges of fields but nothing like the numbers there were yesterday, I'm sure. I did see a couple of living deer too. Two big doe and what I would say was a yearling were waiting to cross the road in an area where there were no hunters visible.

I'll probably be in bed before 9 PM tonight and will definitely get out tomorrow. The weather is supposed to be a little better with sunshine and temps nearing 40 degrees (never got above freezing today). The winds will ease off too, according to the weather.com folks. I'll be prepared to spend all day if that's what it takes.

1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

I don't blame you for staying in ... the Missouri deer always tended to stay put when it was windy. Good luck tomorrow!