Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Bolt Hole, Refrigerator

Despite the leaky faucet problem, I did manage to clean out the refrigerator. The crud from the exploded soda came up pretty easily with a soaking of hot water drawn from the bathroom sink and the racks cleaned up easily in the bathroom too.

It gave me an opportunity to do a bit of inventory and decide what should really be thrown away. Some of the condiments are near archeological and the granulated sugar isn’t any longer. There’s a one pound box of sugar and another of salt that have the consistency of solid concrete. I think a hatchet might be necessary should I decide to use either. Then again, if I put the containers in the toe of a sock, they would make one hell of a weapon. This is a frost free refrigerator/freezer and you would think moisture would find no haven inside but it obviously has. (Although there was a jar of capers that looked like dried peas since all the fluid in the jar was gone.) A lot of the stuff went back to when Terry was living here while the Aerie was under construction in the fall of 2006. But some was left over from various fishing trips to Quebec in 2003 or earlier. And some of the dried spices go back to when I worked at Camp Sabattis in 2002 to 2005. Some may be older than that. I know we have liquor that we obtained when my Mom died.

There was a bottle of habanero pepper sauce that was probably okay to use as paint remover. It may actually been edible but I was not going to take the risk as there would be no joy in having it rush through my system in either direction should it be tainted. The same goes for some barbecue sauces that were half used. And I’m sure the white circles dotting the contents of the half jar of mint jelly was simply crystallization, but again, I’ll not risk it. If it had been purchased last fall, maybe but three years ago?

I went through the stuff on the door shelves, too. Mustard and dried spices I’m not worried about. (Onion and garlic flakes will not go bad even while the salts of the same will form a solid block that needs to be scraped to be used.)

2 comments:

Cassie said...

I can TOTALLY relate to the exploding can. It is bizaar how one lousey can can invade every crevice on the fridge. I sure hope we didn't leave any soda in our refidgerator up north this time. It has happened twice and is never easy to clean out. Our bath on the main floor is a shower, so I suppose I could try to wash the big stuff in that. It would be lots easier in a bathtub.I guess I shouldn't think about it.Hopefully we're good this year. It's those aluminum cans---too flimsey. Like I said, I can relate.

Cassie said...

Oh yeah,I laughed while reading this whole thing. Why do we end up keeping this ancient food stuff? The lumps of sugar as a weapon really got me going!! Very funny post.