Monday, April 13, 2009

Morning Walk

I took a little walk this morning along the bike path at Lamb's Creek Recreation area just north of Mansfield. Parking along the road to the boat launch, where they have the porta-potty set up, I walked north along the bike trail some 0.75 miles to where the trail intersects the boat launch road and then walked back along the road. This is the area I wanted to walk yesterday but the wind kept me away. Today there was no wind to speak of and the sky was mostly clear with only a few mare's tails moving south.

I managed to spot 21 species and made an effort this time to actually count the numbers of each. I'm sure I've under-counted the Song Sparrows, Red-winged Blackbirds and the American Robins. Some that flitted ahead of me along the edge of the trail may have ducked behind me when I wasn't looking and I assumed the ones in front of me were birds I had already seen. In any event, the three species were all over the place.

By the same token, to have seen only one Black-capped Chickadee, one European Starling and one Goldfinch seems odd. They are the three species most likely to hang around in sizable groups.

Here's my report:

Location: Lambs Crk Rec Area
Observation date: 4/13/09
Notes: Cool, clear morning with only a slight breeze. Temperature was between 34 and 38 degrees.

Number of species: 21

Canada Goose 8
Wood Duck 2
Turkey Vulture 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 2
Downy Woodpecker 3
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 3
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 5
Black-capped Chickadee 1
Tufted Titmouse 1
American Robin 27
European Starling 1
Cedar Waxwing 8
Field Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 17
Northern Cardinal 1
Red-winged Blackbird 15
American Goldfinch 1

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I would love to have seen those wood ducks!!