Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Trapeez Act

This morning dawned (if you could call it that) with a fine misting rain falling. Prospects were not good for a walk in woods and fields and I had determined my blood pressure didn't need to have me attending any "tea party", the closest of which would have been in New York State which needs more of an enema than a tea party. Anything to clean the a$$holes out of Albany.

Anyway, I decided to play around with the camera a bit and see what could be seen from my windows and porch. I ended up with over 150 pictures about a quarter of which were squirrels. Squirrels are like government free loaders. Their nose is always in the trough and they never even say thank you to those of us that provide. Like this guy on my deck tray feeder.



Occasionally, the squirrels do provide something in return. Sometime it's in the form of meat. Sometimes it's entertainment. We've had as many as 14-15 Eastern Grey Squirrels at the feeders at one time during the winter. Today there were "just" six plus a Red Squirrel. (Normally I try to play "Navy SEAL and Pirates" with the Red Squirrels but not today. I was feeling magnanimous. I also need to practice more. The darn things wear kevlar vests under the red fur. I'm sure of that!)

One Grey Squirrel must have strayed for the circus. While it's not unusual to find a squirrel hanging from the telephone pole that serves as a feeder support and reaching out to grab sunflower seeds from the feeder, this guy had something else in mind. First he leaped up onto a hanging feeder and then the fun began.


The lip of the feeder is juuussst about wide enough for his hips. Maybe.

But that's okay because he's gonna hang by his back feet from the perching rail.


Once he's hanging out, he realizes that the snacks are at the wrong end!
Time to exercise those abs, my friend!

It's uuuuuppppp to grab a seed and then
doooowwwwn to eat it.


Uuuuuppp and dooowwwn.
Dooowwwn and uuuuuppp.


That sh*t can wear you out pretty fast!
Better to just let the blood rush to your head!


"Hey, look! I'm a bat!
I must be 'cause I'm starting to see stars."

4 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

I LOVE that "squirrels in kevlar" concept! I hadn't thought about it that way.

I once hit a grey squirrel with a dead center thorax .22 placement, from only 20 feet away.

No hair, no blood, nothing to indicate that I hit the little bugger. Must have been related to your reds.

joated said...

Rev., I'm using a scoped .177 Gammo air rifle at a distance of about 10-15 yards. I've hit the red in the chest...watched it fall to the ground and lie still...turned my back to put the rifle down...turned around to see the freakin'...critter running up the hill fastert han I could catch up to him...the only indication that I actually DID hit him was that he wouldn't climb the trees.

threecollie said...

I laughed out loud at the comments on Albany! Very true!

Cassie said...

What funny, adorable pictures.