Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My Eagle Encounter

I mentioned yesterday that I had spotted a couple of Bald Eagles over at Ive's Run/Hammond Lake. The first was an immature bird that flew overhead as I was getting out of the truck. The second was a mature adult bird sitting on a snag just ten or fifteen yards off the road back to the campgrounds. When I stopped the truck and backed up to snap its picture, I could see it was getting nervous. It leaped into flight a split second before I snapped the photo. It wasn't until I looked at it today that I saw the crow that must have been sitting in the pine to the right.



The Eagle didn't go very far. It flew down the coastline to land at the top of another snag just behind the pumping station. I managed to snap a couple more pictures at a range of about 120 yards. This one came out best, in my opinion. I especially like the house hidden on the hill in the background. I didn't even notice that when I was taking the picture.




The third Eagle was soaring over Rt. 287 near the road cut through the rocks. It, along with a Red-tailed Hawk, was a beneficiary of a breeze blowing from the south and up the slope. I do love to see the big birds soaring. Such an effortless means of flight.

2 comments:

threecollie said...

Great shots! I don't know that I have ever been quite that close to an eagle.
I planted onion sets yesterday too. It sure was nice to get out in the garden.

Rev. Paul said...

Magnificent birds, aren't they?