Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Photo changes

Speaking with my fellow bloggers this morning, I mentioned how long it was taking me to post photos to the web. Robert said he always resizes his photos to a round 600 x 400 px and they post quite quickly to his web site and also for those looking at it.

Hmm, says I. I've been shooting in RAW and converting to JPEG after the final editing. Those JPEG photos are what I've been posting. While the RAW is around 14,000 KB and the JPEG is around 1,250 KB, one photo using Robert's suggestion is a mere 200 KB. And I can't tell the difference when they are posted.

It means one more step in the editing process, but the time used to perform that step will be saved many times over in waiting for Blogger to upload them.

2 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

The re-sizing can be a pain, but I always take my 4000x3000 photos & make them 1600x1200 (or slightly smaller) before uploading. Did I mention it's a bit of a pain?

Teresa said...

When you get back home you can set up a flickr account or picassa and upload the full sized photos so you have them to keep or print later.