Sunday, July 11, 2010

Road Trip 2010: Day 33
"Free" Day in Anchorage

Terry and I spent the middle of the day with Rev. Paul who took us up top of Flat Top to get a good view of the Anchorage Bowl and the surrounding mountains. For once the weather cooperated and we could see way, way out there to the Aleutions to the southwest and nearly over to Denali to the north. (Well, we did get a short peek of Hunter.) Then he took us down the Seward Highway along the Turnagain Arm of Cook's Inlet. After lunch in Girdwood, we came back to the campsite.

From his talk, it was obvious that Paul really, really loves the Anchorage area. If he had made the sllightest effort, he could have sold me on the place. (Right up to the 5 plus hours of sunlight on December 21st he had me pretty well hooked!)

I took some photos of the views but realized after he left that I never did get one of Paul.

If I don't get those photos posted tonight, do not look for them anytime soon. In fact, don't go looking for any posts in the next couple of days.

Tomorrow we head down the Kenai Peninsula to Land's End south of Homer for a day of fishing on Tuesday. Then it will be over to Seward for another cruise. Once we get off the Kenai Peninsula, we head north stopping at Houston on our way to Denali and then Fairbanks. Who knows when or where the next good internet connection will be?

******

1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the outing. And don't feel bad about not getting my picture; I only got one of the two of you, and neither was looking at the camera.

Enjoy the trip down the Kenai Peninsula, and keep an eye on the western horizon as you go - those volcanoes we saw today will be right across the Cook Inlet from you as you head toward Homer.