Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Road Trip 2010: Day 27 Tok to Valdez
UPDATE

UPDATE: I've added pictures to the post about our Monday night in Skagway...that's only a week ago.

We headed south today--sorta--ending up at the small boat dock in Valdez.

We (Terry and I) had some minor difficulties with trailer living yesterday and today.

Yesterday I learned that there was no flaw in the meter of the black water tank. It kept reading 2/3 full--even after I allegedly emptied it. I'd hear the "stuff" go gushing through the sewer hose when I dumped and assumed that the "stuff" had been removed from the tank...until yesterday when the tank proved to be brim full. Seems the liquids would go rushing out, but the solids (the stuff that truly makes it a "black" water tank--or, at least very dark brown) stayed behind. Time to take out the magic wand and use a little high pressure to break things up and flush them down the sewer.

This morning it was the slide out. We couldn't get it to slide back in this morning as we prepared to leave Tok. At first I scratched my head as to what might be wrong and then I asked for help from our assistant leader. Together we determined that there was a missing bolt on the drive shaft of the geared mechanism that extends and retracts the 12 foot long slide out. (There are two bars--each about 3 feet from the ends of the slide out--with teeth in them that the slide out rides on. One was no longer connected to the drive shaft that runs between them to keep them in sync.) Luckily, I had a bolt that fit the hole and two nuts that I could use to assure it would not fall out.

Tomorrow's a "Free" day so perhaps I can get a few more posts illustrated.

Tomorrow never came--at least in Vladez. Just too much to do or see. And rotten internet service.

I did, however take some photos going down to Valdez from Tok and it would be a shame to waste them even if they were taken in the rain, so here they are:

The Wrangell Range sheathed in clouds.

Fish wheel at Wrangell-St. Elias National Park Visitors' Center

THE Pipeline

THE Pipeline

Worthington Glacier near the summit of Thompson Pass

View north from Thompson Pass summit.

We were running a little late at this point and didn't take another photo until we reached our campground near the docks.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Ahhh RV living...We've never tried it but I've always thought it sounded like a great way to take a vacation. Never gave much thought to the "stuff".hehe. What a swell trip you're having though. More photos please!!