Monday, October 22, 2007

Back in PA

After ten days [ed. Really? 10 days? me- 'Fraid so.] at the Bolt Hole I packed it in this morning and headed back to the Aerie. Being in the woods almost every morning and most afternoons (sometimes you have chores to do or it rains or people pass away on the trail) I had seen no deer. Oh, there were signs that deer had been around during the night--like the tracks in the lawn right behind the cabin--but I had not actually spotted one while sitting on stand or still hunting. Not even a tail as one bounded away from me.

Still, aside from one hunter's death, the all too warm temperatures most afternoons, and the lack of deer or bear, it wasn't a bad ten days. The season's not over up there yet. It doesn't end until December 2 and I'll be going back up in a week or so. The weather is supposed to get much cooler as two cold fronts are poised to pass through in the next week. Maybe that will get the deer moving about a bit more.

No comments: