Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Nothing yet

Deer and bear are predominately nocturnal animals. Man, when hunting legally as prescribed by the state, is confined to the daylight hours. This is why there is NOTHING HANGING FROM THE MEAT POLE...yet.

I've spent two days sitting in trees and nearly falling asleep in trees but have only seen red squirrels (noisy little b*st*rds!) and birds. Oh and one little mouse or shrew that scurried very, very quickly from one hole in the ground to another and clearly did not wish to be above ground during the day. The red squirrels seem to think I'm trespassing and have a nasty habit of screaming at me which especially disconcerting when they sneak up the tree behind me. But, hey, they've been in my attic, so turnabout is fair. Am I right?

Actually I lied a bit up there in the first paragraph. Deer and bear will occasionally linger in the twilight hours after sunrise or just before sunset. Seldom will they be abroad during the middle of the day except during the rut when a buck might be in search of a doe in heat at any hour. Kind of like a teenager with raging hormones. But the rut in these here parts of the country is weeks away.

No comments: